December 2023

Notes from 15 minute public forum on 05 December 2023


There was one member of the public present, they came along to ask about the cleaning of the War Memorial.  Information has previously been received and will be looked at ready for celebrations in 2025.



Minutes of the meeting of Wrangle Parish Council held on Tuesday 05 December 2023 at 7.30pm in the Parish Hall


1. Apologies for absence


Apologies:  Apologies were accepted from Cllr Pickett


Present:  Cllrs Edwards, Featherstone, Wrisdale, Bowles, Dickason, Seymour and Ashton (Chairman)  


Also present:  County Cllr Skinner, Borough Cllrs Baxter and Butler and one member of the public


2. To receive reports from representatives on outside bodies


a. Borough Cllr Baxter reported on behalf of both Councillors:

i. Any changes to the Chapel building, and the use of the building, will require planning permission from the Borough Council.

ii. The Borough Councillors spent an evening at the Youth Club and praised the work being done there.

iii. A report of completed work on Fix my Street needs to be chased up as this is incorrect.

iv. Cabinet meetings at the Borough Council will now have a 30 minute public forum form 6.00pm.

v. The Christmas event in Boston was very successful.

vi. An emergency meeting was held by Old Leake to discuss the situation of funding any LED replacement lights.  Wrangle has received a report from the Clerk.


b. County Cllr Skinner reported:

i. A ‘highways walk’ has taken place to discuss a proposed site for a crossing on the A52 and to look at the state of the drains – street cleaning has been ordered following a request to the Borough Councillors.

ii. Two audits have been signed off for LCC.

iii. 500 properties across Lincolnshire were flooded in the recent heavy rain.

iv. LCC have discussed the situation regarding devolution and have agreed to go ahead with a public consultation.

v. Public Protection are now able to carry out toxicology tests.

vi. A site has been purchased for a new fire station at Leverton.

vii. It is crucial to keep the Emergency Parish Plan up to date.

viii. Cllr Skinner was asked why South Holland do not get consultations as the rest of Lincolnshire do, there was no answer to this.


3.    To receive declarations of interest in accordance with the Localism Act 2011 


There were no declarations of interest.


4. Notes of the meeting held on 31 October 2023 to be signed as the minutes


a.    It was resolved that the minutes, previously circulated, be signed as the minutes.


5. Clerk’s report


a. The base of the village sign has been looked at by the grass cutting contractors and they have not been in touch since.  Insurance may be an issue as there is no proof of who caused the damage.  The Clerk will chase up the contractor and find out what they have to say about the situation.

b. Cllrs Bowles and Edwards will attend the Parish Liaison meeting on 25 January 2024 on behalf of the Parish Council.

c. The Diamond Jubilee plaque on the tree in the Churchyard has been damaged and needs to be replaced.  It was resolved to get an aluminium one with the same wording.

d. The ledgers in Australia will be weighed for sending to the Parish Council, a price has not yet been received.


6.    Clerks salary – new NALC pay scales


a. The Clerk reported the new figures for SCP 12 from 01 April 2023.

b. It was resolved that the NALC pay scales be adhered to for the Clerk.


7. To receive report from the Chairman  


a. The Chairman attended the final service at the methodist chapel and managed to speak to someone about the possibility of an asset transfer.  An email received following a written request was read out, there is no hope of an asset transfer.

b. The vice-chairman reported that the evening with Witham Fourth was very well attended and very well received by all who attended – a letter of thanks has been sent to Mr Johnson.


8.      Finance report


a. It was resolved to make the following payments: 


Salaries (November)   546.01

Clerk’s Expenses (November)     31.35

E L Arnold (white paper for magazine)     39.20

K & P Services (Handyman)   120.00

Bolingbroke Deanery (February magazine)      TBA

Bolingbroke Deanery (December/January magazine)     80.00

Malc Firth Landscapes (grass cutting)   582.23

Wrangle Parish Hall (room hire)   145.00

E-on (Toilet block)      TBA

E-on (Pavilion)      TBA


It was resolved to sign the following cheques for January:


Salaries (December + back pay)     TBA

K & P Services (Handyman - December)   120.00


It was proposed by Cllr Bowles and seconded by Cllr Wrisdale that the payments be made.


b.   Balances at bank at 15 November 2023:     Current account    £11,678.95 rec:  £9,946.40

         Deposit account   £23,311.33

                 Map account                 £2.92

         Jubilee Account        £685.25


c. The Clerk has received a card reader ready to start internet banking.  Cllrs Ashton, Bowles and Edwards, being signatories, will now request a card reader.  When these have been received the payments can be made by the Clerk and will need one signatory to approve the payment.


9.      To consider new accountant for PAYE work after April 2024


The Clerk reported that the accountant currently used was scaling back on work and has asked that the Parish Council look for someone else to carry out this work.  Councillors will consider this for the February meeting.


10.    To discuss siting bus shelters on A52 in the area of the Sea Lane junction


a. LCC have advised that the Borough Council should be asked about planning permission.

b. A local company will be asked for permission to site a shelter on its land and perhaps if they would contribute to the bus shelters.

c. A quote has been received from a company online to give some idea of the costings.


11.    To approve the budget for the year ended 31 March 2025 and set the precept


a. All Councillors have a copy of the amended budget for the year ended 31 March 2025.

b. The cost of electricity and maintenance of the street lights is now known and has increased the suggested precept by £1000.00.

c. The £13,500.00 requested by the Borough Council to get the street lights up to standard has not been included in the budget.

d. Following discussion it was resolved that the External Auditors be asked about the situation regarding the payments made for another authorities assets.

e. It was proposed by Cllr Wrisdale and seconded by Cllr Bowles, all agreed, that the precept be set at £33,000.00 for 2024/2025.


12.     Recreation field – any matters to report


a. The water has been turned off in the pavilion, the gents and the ladies toilet, but not in the disabled toilet.

b. Cllr Edwards will turn off the water in the disabled toilet.


13.     To receive update regarding Community Speed Watch


a. There are still only five volunteers to join this group, one of whom will be the co-ordinator.

b. LRSP have confirmed that they will run a training session for five, but would prefer more volunteers.

c. It was suggested that Wrangle join with Old Leake for the training session and work together on this project.

d. Cllr Dickason will ask Old Leake Parish Council if this is an option.


14.     To report any highway matters


There were no new highway matters to report.


15.    Planning applications received


The following planning applications were supported by the Parish Council:


B/23/0399 - Staples Bros - Proposed agricultural store at Marsh Farm, Sea Lane, Wrangle 


B/23/0414 - Dickinson - Proposed extension and alterations to form granny annex at Orquidea, Wrangle Bank


B/23/0419 - Staples Vegetables - Erection of a coldstore at Marsh Farm, Sea Lane, Wrangle


16.    Planning decisions received from Boston Borough Council


The following planning application has been withdrawn:


B/23/0312 - Endeavour Plumbing & Heating Boston - Erection of a 2.4m high fence on each side of the neighbouring boundaries. A 1.8m high fence (amendment received for 2.4m on the principle elevation adjacent to the footpath with a 4.0 metre wide vehicular access gate at Junkaholic, Main Road


17.     To discuss the Emergency Parish Plan


a. Information has been emailed to Councillors.

b. Amendments were advised and will be made to the Wrangle Emergency Parish Plan ready for use for the LRF template.

c. Three volunteers are required to put the Emergency Parish Plan together, after which changes can be made as and when required.

d. Cllrs Ashton and Dickason, together with the member of the public present will look at completing the template.


18.    Correspondence received not covered on the agenda


There was no additional correspondence.


19.    Any other business – matters for next agenda


a. Cockleshell Alley needs to be checked for access, if it is blocked it will be reported to LCC.

b. The wooden bus shelter is rotting in places, this will be on the agenda for the next meeting.


20.    Date and time of next meeting


The next Parish Council meeting will be held in the Parish Hall on 06 February 2024 at 7.30pm with a Public Forum from 7.15pm





There being no other business the meeting closed at 9.05pm