September 2023

Notes from 15 minute public forum on 05 September 2023


There were three members of the public present, one came along to listen to the meeting, one gave an update on the 5G pole to be sited on land opposite the Primary School at Main Road and the third was there to assist Rev. Dr Val Odgen.


7.30pm Rev. Dr Val Ogden arrived, she came along to outline the situation at the Methodist Chapel and the work done to try and keep the Chapel open.  The final comments were to ask if anyone had any idea as to what the building could now be used for.  As there was no thoughts forthcoming this will be on the agenda for the next meeting when Councillors have had time to consider the situation.  (Any ideas can be emailed to


Rev. Dr Val Ogden and one member of the pubic left the meeting


Minutes of the meeting of Wrangle Parish Council held on Tuesday 05 September 2023 at 7.50pm in the Parish Hall


Before the meeting started thanks were recorded for Cllr Edwards who chaired the last meeting and handled the responsibility very well.


1. Apologies for absence


Apologies:  Apologies were accepted from Cllrs Edwards and Featherstone.  County Cllr Skinner and Borough Cllr Butler.


Present:  Cllrs Wrisdale, Seymour, Bowles, Hill, Dickason, Pickett and Ashton (Chairman)  


Also present:  Borough Cllr Baxter and two members of the public


2. To receive reports from representatives on outside bodies


a. The Borough Cllrs reported:

i. The Outer Dowsing cables will run through Wrangle Common and Old Leake Commonside.

ii. The Geoff Moulder Leisure Centre has been taken over by Parkwood Leisure who will improve the facilities and endeavour to keep one swimming pool open at any time.

iii. The Public Protection Orders have been renewed and a Fixed Penalty Notice will be £100 for anyone caught breaking the rules regarding dog fouling and littering.  These Orders cover the whole of the Boston Borough.

iv. The new Communities portfolio holder will be arranging a meeting for Clerks and Chairs to attend.

v. Issues at China Street have been reported on Fix my Street.

vi. Street lighting issues will be discussed under Highways and any comments sent to the Clerk at Old Leake.


b. County Cllr Skinner was not present.


3.    To receive declarations of interest in accordance with the Localism Act 2011 


There were no declarations of interest.



4. Notes of the meeting held on 04 July 2023 to be signed as the minutes


The notes, previously circulated, were approved and signed as the minutes.


5. Clerk’s report


a. A training event – induction and refresher course for Councillors will be attended by Cllrs Hill and Dickason.

b. The base of the village sign has been damaged.  A second opinion on the cause of the damage will be sought and the necessary action will be taken.

c. Witham Fourth IDB will be doing some work in dyke at the allotments, tenants will be advised of the dates the work is to be carried out.

d. It was resolved that the Parish Council would have a wreath for Remembrance day.


6.    To receive report from the Chairman  


The Chairman has nothing to report, all items are on the agenda.


7.      Finance report


a. Payment to be authorised: 


Salaries (August)   546.03

Clerk’s Expenses (August)     40.60

K & P Services (Handyman)   145.00

Bolingbroke Deanery (October magazine)     TBA

Bolingbroke Deanery (for August/September magazine)   100.00

Malc Firth Landscapes (grass cutting)   602.64

Malc Firth Landscapes (grass cutting)   546.26

E-on (Toilet Block)     45.48

Wrangle PCC (S137 payment towards grass cutting)   550.00

Wrangle Youth Centre (S137 payment towards youth work)   350.00

Wrangle Bowls Club (S137 payment towards maintenance)   300.00

PSPSL (Election costs – replacement cheque) 2165.64

Wicksteed Leisure Ltd (Play area inspection)   316.80

Payments made in August:

Salaries (July)   545.83

K & P Services (Handyman)   120.00

E-on Next (Pavilion and toilet block)   131.58

PSPSL (Election costs) 2165.64

Anglian Water (Recreation field supply)     36.91


b.   Balances at bank at 14 July 2023:       Current account      £4,616.21

      Deposit account    £27,238.35

              Map account                  £2.91

      Jubilee Account      £685.25


Balances at bank at 15 August 2023:       Current account      £2,011.15   rec £1,853.63

      Deposit account    £27,238.35

              Map account                  £2.91

      Jubilee Account      £685.25


c. A form from the bank regarding the business of the Parish Council was completed and signed ready to return to the bank.


d. A new bank mandate form has been completed to remove Mr Danby and add the Chairman.  The Chairman took the form and will return it to the Clerk on Thursday ready to take into the bank.


8.      Recreation field – any matters to report


a. To discuss the play area report and any works to be carried out

i. All Councillors have a copy of the report.

ii. All issues reported are low risk and will be monitored.

iii. The matting will be checked where it has become separated.


b. To discuss the toilet block locks

The combinations on the padlocks of the toilet block doors need to be changed and the internal doors need to be locked.


c. Any other matters to report

The Clerk will check if the football team are going to use the facilities this year.


9.      To receive update regarding Community Speed Watch


a. The costings for the equipment for Community Speed Watch were outlined.

b. There are currently four volunteers to join this group.  The details will be in the October magazine to see if any more volunteers come forward.

c. A decision will be made at the next meeting with regard to purchasing the equipment. 


10.     To report any highway matters


a. An email has been received from Boston Borough Council with details from a report carried out on the street lights in Wrangle.  The conclusion is that the Parish Council will have to pay around £13,500 to the Borough Council in addition to the £2800 paid for the electricity and maintenance in 2022/23.  The Parish Council have also been advised of a possible 150% energy increase.


b. The Borough Council pay nothing, other than insurance, for the street lights, it would be good practice if they paid for the lights to be changed to LED to help with Parish Council costs for electricity and maintenance.


c. An email has been received from Old Leake Parish Council regarding the charges being suggested for the street lighting.  Comments regarding the owner and insurer of the assets will be added to the list of issues already outlined by Old Leake, as will the lack of consultation of electric supplier for the street lights.


d. The roadway to the Sea Bank needs some repair work, this is the responsibility of the Parish Council.  A rough idea of the cost will be sought for the next meeting.


d. The gullies along the A52 need checking and clearing before the bad weather starts.  They are full with mud and debris.  Can they be checked for running under the road too, this is to prevent any possible flooding issues for residents at Main Road.


e. A manhole cover in the Main Road has been loose for a few months, it will be reported again for repair.


11.    Planning applications received


The following planning applicaton was supported by the Parish Council:


B/23/0202 - Wrangle Box Property Limited - Erection of warehouse (Use Class B8), construction of surface water lagoon and associated parking and turning at Wrangle Box Property Limited, Brenton Villa, Wrangle Bank – AMENDMENT


B/23/0287- Mr Appleton - Change of use from grazing land to faciolitate an Equestrian use.  Erection of a 40 x 20m all weather menage with drainage to the dyke at rear of property.  Menage to be enclosed by post and rail fencing at a height of 1.4m.  Erection of post and rail fencing to create two separate paddocks at rear of the land at height of 1.4m for sole use only at Maple Lodge, Wrangle Bank


12.    Planning decisions received from Boston Borough Council


Full planning permission has been received for:


B/23/0111 - Mr Marsh - Erection of a car port at Old Cottage, Main Road


B/23/0156 - Mr Pitcher - Proposed single storey rear extension, front porch and infill extension at Sigtoft Farm, Main Road


B/23/0164 - Mr Pates - Erection of 2 detached dwellings including 1 two storey dwelling and one detached bungalow at Fieldfare, Nut Lane


13.    To consider email regarding records of wrangle in Australia


a. All Councillors have a copy of the email received from Australia.

b. Following discussion it was resolved to ask if the documents can be shipped and at what cost.


14.    To discuss an evening for presentation from Witham Fourth


Following discussion it was resolved that a presentation would be held in November when parishioners can attend.  Cllr Bowles will arrange this and details will be in the October parish magazine.


15.    Correspondence received not covered on the agenda


Brochures were made available to Councillors.


16.    Any other business – matters for next agenda


a. To give ideas of the future use of the Methodist Chapel building.

b. To receive update regarding the proposed 5G Mast


17.    Date and time of next meeting


The next Parish Council meeting will be held in the Parish Hall on 03 October 2023 at 7.30pm with a Public Forum from 7.15pm



There being no other business the meeting closed at 9.15pm